Followers

Friday, January 9, 2009

The book I forgot!

Of course I forgot a book to my fave list. I'm known far and wide for my awesome forgetting skillz. Anyway, the book that should be on everyone's list is Shanna by Kathleen Woodiwiss (RIP). The heroine is the one with the ego and the power in the relationship. The hero is never hurtful to her in the least and is pretty much perfect. When she finally wakes up and gets over her snobbery, I want to cheer. Certainly for the time in which the book was written, the 70s, this was quite a refreshing change over the so-called bodice rippers. Over the years Woodiwiss' writing style became obsolete, but she was a ground breaker in those early days of the genre. Comparisons between Woodiwiss and Rosemary Rogers are inevitable and I am solidly on Team Woodiwiss. Rogers' books always felt, to me at least, like a man wrote them. Your mileage may vary, so let me know how you feel about that!

Doreen

No comments: